Q: Oil leak from lower valve cover

Hi,

I had burnt smell coming in through the a/c so got it checked by local auto repair. They said it was valve cover leak which I got repaired. I went fro second checkup today but they found that now the lower valve cover is also leaking and oil is filling in the oil pan.

My question: 1. When the valve cover leak is being repaired , do you check all the valve covers for leak and was this missed?

1. I am in the process of moving homes so can I drive around without getting this repaired for sometime? Does it pose any danger to the car/ me?

A: You didn’t say whether you have the 2.4L or...

You didn’t say whether you have the 2.4L or 3.3L in your Hyundai, but neither of these engines have a lower valve cover. Could it be that you misunderstood the part the shop said needed to be replaced? Anyhow, it’s always good to have an oil leak repaired as soon as possible. However, it will be OK to drive your car until your finished moving, as long as you keep an eye on the oil level. Depending on the severity of the leak, you may want to check your oil as often as once a day. A good mechanic will clean the engine off, then put dye in the system to determine exactly where the leak is coming from. This ensures the correct repairs are made. YourMechanic can perform an oil leak inspection for you.