Q: Oil drian plug cracked tried to extract it but it wnet into oil pan, does the oil pum have protective screen preventing damage?

Im wondering if oil pan has to be dropped. I have read conflicting information that it does and other information saying ot should not be an issue due to weight of the plug and the oil pump having a protective screen?

There is always the possible chance that the piece could get into the opening in the oil pump pickup tube. It will not make it past the screen but can partly block the opening where the oil is sucked into the pump.

With this many miles on your vehicle it is your decision what to do. You could try a new drain plug that has a magnetic tip on it and it could keep the broken piece away from the pickup tube. You could also get a large strong magnet and put it on the outside of the pan and put it near the drain outlet ant it should hold the broken piece as long as the magnet stays on. I suggest using an epoxy to keep it in place on the pan. The only other thing to do is to drop the oil pan and get the piece out.

• Oil drian plug cracked tried to extract it but it wnet into oil pan, does the oil pum have protective screen preventing damage?