Q: I have a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. How often do you recommend the changing of the timimg belt?

I may need a timing belt as it has been a while since I had one changed.

The tensioner and the timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles. This is an "interference" engine application which means that if the timing belt were to break when the engine is operating, the valves could interfere with the pistons causing the engine to be damaged. Whenever a timing belt is replaced, the water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, and all belt tensioners and pulleys should be replaced at the same time. For that reason, timing belt "kits" will often include all of these components in one package, all ready to go. Dealer OEM parts are preferred but if you buy aftermarket parts use only a reputable name brand such as Gates. If you desire that the timing belt and components be installed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request timing belt replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I have a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. How often do you recommend the changing of the timimg belt?