Q: Noisy lifters 1991 Mitsubishi Montero

My 3 liter V-6 has 168,000 miles on it. Recently, my lifters have been making a racket. As this engine has SOHC's I am wondering if they can be adjusted somehow like you would on a pushrod engine.

My oil pressure seems as normal as it ever has been and I have good compression in all cylinders. I assume that my valve guides could be replaced because the engine uses about a quart of oil every 800 miles and this is a problem common to this engine. It is my understanding that this is about normal for an engine with this many miles.

Would replacing the lifters fix this problem? The engine runs just fine. I just hate the lifter noise. I have tried different oils and am now running a "high-mileage" full synthetic.

Thanks, Dan

Hello - your "noisy lifters" could have a couple of causes: worn out lifters (they’re hydraulic by the way, not adjustable), or poor oil supply to them. Poor oil supply could be a blocked oil passage, worn out oil pump, worn bearings reducing available oil pressure, or a sludged up engine. Options to repair, based on the real problem include lifter replacement, engine flush, new oil pump, or major engine repair. I recommend a noisy engine inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Noisy lifters 1991 Mitsubishi Montero