Q: Noisy lifters

asked by on February 06, 2016

The truck starts OK, but the lifters are noisy.

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi. Noisy lifters can occur for a number of different reasons. The most common being low or old oil or a poor quality oil filter. If the oil filter is restricted or if it is full of debris, then the lifters can make noise. They can also make noise if a lifter is collapsed or if the oil pump is failing. A mechanic would start by checking the oil and filter, and then checking the oil pressure with a manual oil pressure gauge. If everything checks out, then the engine will need to be partially disassembled to locate the cause of the noise. Severe oil sludge from lack of maintenance can also cause this. If you do not plan on taking care of this yourself, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can inspect the engine noise and elaborate on what the problem might be.