Q: noises from parked car - 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan

I hear strange sounds coming from my car when it is turned off. It sounds like the cd's changer is shuffling about every 5 minutes. When I took it to the dealer they said it's the car's security system checking itself. They also told me that when my car is locked with a keyfob that it won't happen. Is this normal for my car or is the dealership fooling with me?

Hello. It is very possibly that the sounds your hearing are components turning off and powering down. Whether or not the security system is to blame can’t be determined over the internet. Fans, solenoids, sensors, electronics, and all sorts of components take a few steps to power down, and some even remain partially active to retain memory and saved driver information. The CD player should not be doing anything while off unless there is an issue with the ejection button. You are most likely hearing normal functions of your vehicle. However, if these are new or sudden changes with the vehicle, further inspection may be needed to diagnose the sound.