Q: My 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 will not start

Temp guage spikes out in red with the check engine light and check gauges light as soon as I turn the key, this is when is was cold no way it was hot and when I turn the key more to actually start it just turns over no fire, coolent level good,water pump good , put a new engine coolent sensor on, no change

A: In your vehicle, the powertrain control mod...

In your vehicle, the powertrain control module (PCM) receives input from the coolant temperature sensor. It then uses this information to determine control of various outputs such as the fuel injectors and ignition timing. It also relays this information to the instrument cluster for the temperature display. If the PCM receives faulty information regarding engine coolant temperature, either due to a failed sensor or a wiring problem, a no start condition can occur. Alternately, the PCM itself could be bad. The only way to know for certain is to have your no start condition diagnosed by a trained professional. YourMechanic is an excellent option since we come to your home or office.

A: Hi. There could be several different things...

Hi. There could be several different things causing your no start problem. The crankshaft position sensor and or camshaft position sensor could not be working and causing the truck not to have spark so it will not turn over. The fuel pump could be weak or not working at all causing little to no fuel pressure at the fuel rail causing the truck not start. An unlikely cause of your no start problem is a bad PCM but all other causes should be ruled out before replacing the PCM. I suggest you have a certified tech from YourMechanic come and diagnose your no start problem.