Q: Can I Drive Without Any Mirrors If It’s an Emergency?

asked by on November 18, 2015

Can I drive without any mirrors if it’s an emergency?

If the judge’s daughter is in labor and you are rushing her to the hospital then, yes, you can! But otherwise, you might get a ticket. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards state that you should have an interior mounted mirror as well as one installed on the driver’s side. And although most have one, there have been vehicles originally built and sold without a mirror included on the passenger side. If it never had one, then it’s not required equipment.

However, if it’s obvious it did originally have a mirror on the right side, you may be required to replace it if it has gone missing. If you need your mirrors fixed, a certified mechanic can replace your mirror for you. Driving will be safer, more relaxed, and legal again once you get your mirrors back.