Q: Got a tune up. Sputtering during acceleration abd now it won't start. Smell of gas without touching pedal. No interior lights and battery is good

asked by on October 23, 2016

Got tune up . Car started to sputter on acceleration . Now it won't start and smell of gas without touching pedal.cranks good battery is good. After turning key off it feels like its still tryin to go

Hello and thank you for your question. Sounds like a couple things are wrong with your car. First there is a crossed wire with the spark plug wires. If only two wires are crossed, then the vehicle will run on 4 cylinders and try to run on the other two, but ignite the fuel prior to the compression. This will result in the smell of fuel and the poor acceleration.

Second, the ignition switch may be getting stuck inside causing the ignition to remain active. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to start and then to accessory several times without starting the engine. Then attempt to start the engine and then shut it off. If the engine shuts off normally, then I recommend replacing the ignition switch. If you need further assistance with your vehicle, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the sputtering and starting issues, and guide you through repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr