Car jerks and signs of overheating honda 2001 civic l4-1.7l

Q: Car jerks and signs of overheating

asked by on June 05, 2017

I have a 2001 Honda Civic Manual. The car jerks when changing gears and show that it's overheating even though it's not. Once I push the gas a little and let go the arrow on the thermostat goes down immediately. This has me confuse and I would like to know what it can be. The mechanic wouldn't look at it because the check engine light does not light up.Please help!!

Hi There, It does sound like your car may be overheating and that you may possibly have a bit of a cylinder head gasket leak. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted and in some cases may result in the engine not maintaining enough cylinder compression to even run or start. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.