Q: Q: How do you set the parking brake?

How do you set the parking brake?

Setting the parking brake ensures that your car stays where you park it on an incline and also takes the load off the transmission. Never leave your car only in park on a hill, or in gear on a hill (if it’s a stick shift). Here’s how to use the parking brake.

1. Pedal Type: If you have a pedal type parking brake, simply press it to the floor. It will engage and stay depressed. To release it, just push it again.

2. Lever Type: If you have a lever type parking brake (between the driver and passenger front seat), simply lift it up. It will click as it rises and lock into place. To release it, raise up on the lever slightly, press the release button on the end, and lower it again.

Tips

• Always make sure to put the parking brake on before putting the car in park.

• Always make sure that the Parking Brake light is off in the dash before driving.

3. Q: How do you set the parking brake?