Q: Temperature gauge -- engine running cooler than normal. Below 90 only while driving.

My 2001 Audi A3 1.8T doesn't have an overheating problem, in fact it runs cooler than normal. While driving, the temperature gauge would drop below 90 degrees but when stationary it would go back up to 90. Would just like to know why? Thanks in advance.

Hi, thanks for writing in. If the engine is running cooler than normal, this could mean the thermostat is stuck in the open position. This will cause the engine to run cold and not warm up properly. This can cause the engine to use more fuel and the heater to not perform as needed in the cold times. Have the system checked to see if the fans are on all the time or if the thermostat is stuck open.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

• Temperature gauge -- engine running cooler than normal. Below 90 only while driving.