Q: Noise when car starts and side noise brake

When I start the car (not every time) even though car starts, after 2sec after car starts there is a loud "Pak " sound from engine foe a split second... Then after driving for sometime. The same loud "Pak" sound comes from the rear right side when I brake.. It doesn't happened every time I brake.. I had new tires and new brake pads installed about 3 months ago and engine loud noise for e second just started to happened but the brake sound has been going on for few weeks now... Need to know what this might be and if I should still drive the car

A: This is a common question among many Honda ...

This is a common question among many Honda owners and is a valid question. This sound is usually due to the brake pads floating inside the brake calipers. I have seen numerous questions about this and had the same question myself when this design first came out. This design was intended to combat the oxidation or rust of calipers and caliper brackets which causes them to expand and create additional pressure on the pads themselves. When this happens, this can cause premature brake pad wear and breakdown of the brake pad lube (usually what is called Molykote) which then causes additional heat.

When this happens, depending on the amount of heat present, this can cause the caliper pins to freeze up causing the calipers to stick. This can cause excessive brake wear and damage. The intention of this design is purely preventative in nature and is generally not something that requires attention, however you may want to consult a professional from YourMechanic to have them come to you location to perform an inspection of your brakes to be sure this is actually the case and that they are not in need of further repair.