Q: Noise I can't pinpoint

1998 4runner 4x4 when sitting still and just putting the transmission in reverse or drive I get this wobbling sound that seems to be getting louder. When put back in park or nuetural is stops. At times I think I can feel it under my feet

A: Hi there: In some cases the noises you’re ...

Hi there:

In some cases the noises you’re experiencing could be an indicator of a problem with the transmission output shaft / drive shaft connection. Overtime, the connection between the two can warp or become loose; which might cause a "wobbling" sound similar to one you’re experiencing. It could also be a problem with the reverse gear of the transmission or perhaps body mounts that might be loose. The best way to determine precisely what’s wrong is to contact a local mobile mechanic and have them complete a car is making a noise inspection to pinpoint the source of this odd noise.