Q: No power to the fuel pump

My truck shut off with no warning. Looked over a few things. I noticed the fuel pump was not coming on. I checked fuses and relays, all seemed to check out. Also the day before my truck shut off the fuel gauge got stuck in the full position. With everything seeming to be good I replaced the fuel pump. Still the fuel pump seems to be not getting any power. What would be the next thing for me to check?

A: Hi there. Circuit test(s) need to be prefor...

Hi there. Circuit test(s) need to be preformed to confirm the diagnosis. This can be done using a test light. With the key on engine off, power should be supplied to the fuel pump for two seconds, this is initialization. During cranking constant power is supplied.

The ignition switch supplies power to the power distribution center fuses. The fuse(s) supply power to the fuel pump relay control and load circuits. The fuel pump relay may appear to be working but it may not be. Next in the circuit is the fuel pump inertia switch, designed to stop power to the fuel pump in an accident or heavy impact. The other side of the fuel pump is the ground circuit. There may be a poor ground.

For more help, I recommend having your vehicle's loss of power at the fuel pump inspected and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.