Q: New cv axle too short

asked by on February 24, 2017

I have bought two different cv axles for my 1995 civic and they have both Been to short. This last one was only about a half inch to a inch to lo short as the first one was at least two and a half inches too short. Any ideas on what part I need to get. The part number for the last axle I got from Napa is 94-6007. Thank you

It appears that the 94-6007 is the correct part number. I’m assuming that this is for the left side, as the axle for the right side is over 10 inches shorter. I would suggest that you measure the compressed length of the shaft assembly. According to the specifications, it should be 35 5/8" long, when compressed. I have run into problems with some aftermarket parts having manufacturing discrepancies, and the specs will be off slightly. If the measurement of the axle is correct, you may want to check for other issues. Are the transmission mounts collapsed/shifted and causing a problem, control arm mount bushings perished, or something else that will have the engine/transmission sitting off to one side and causing a problem? If you feel you could use a hand in identifying/repairing the problem, contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics at YourMechanic.com.