Q: New car's transmission failed

So we traded our old SUV for a 2015 this past weekend. It had less than 11,000 miles when we drove it off the lot. We had a good time driving it home. My wife took the kids to school, and then headed up a small mountain here a few days ago. About halfway up the mountain, the transmission failed. The engine revved and the vehicle acted like it was shifted into neutral. She had to catch it with the brake before it rolled back into a guardrail. Then had to deal with Ford roadside service. The dealership that sold me the car wanted to fix the car, and then they proceeded to take it down the street to another place because they have no in-house transmission specialist. I got a phone call today stating that the pump inside the transmission failed, and they'll have it fixed by next week. Does this sound right? I am upset. I understand that things break, but this vehicle had so few miles on it, had gone through the multi point inspection, came from a local owner, etc. Should I be concerned about this for the future?

That is very few miles to experience a transmission failure. However, it’s not likely that this type of thing would have been caught during the multi-point inspection - especially since you said it drove fine right after you bought it. A failed front pump will result in lack of transmission line pressure and a non-functional transmission. So, the repair facility is likely correct in their analysis. If you’d like a second opinion, the team at YourMechanic would be happy to come out and take a look at your vehicle’s shifting issues.

3. New car's transmission failed