Q: Jeep shaking at 55 MPH

asked by on February 08, 2016

My jeep starts shaking violently when I get up to 55 MPH.

This is a very common problem with Jeeps. There are several components on the front suspension that can cause this violent shaking concern.

First would be the steering stabilizer: This looks like a shock absorber and does just that, except it’s for the steering linkage. If it goes bad, there is no dampening of the steering inputs.

Next would be a bad universal joint in the front axle: These universal joints let the axle flex, so your front wheels can turn. When one of these joints starts binding, it can force the steering wheel to move back and forth very violently.

Last would be the control arm bushings: If these bushings have too much flex, the suspension can get into a rhythm and cause the violent shaking you are describing.

I would ask for help from one of the mechanics at YourMechanic to look over your jeep and recommend repairs that will correct your shaking concern.