Ok it started when i was jumping my nrwfews car caused my radio to burn out i changed fuses still nothing so oh well no radio but the problem is even after getting a new battery for my car this is the 5 th battery in less then a year and only does it in colder weather . My battety goes dead over bite i make sure all the lights goes off when i get out of my car and turn everything off . It didnt get very cold last nite but it was dead when i got in it to go to work today . Had the alternater checked they said was fine just andead battery . Any ideas plz help single mom working two jobs cant agford a new car
My car has 14700 miles.
Hi there. To check to see if something is still on with the key on, remove the ground cable to the battery and put a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM) on the cable and onto the battery negative post. With the key in the off position, there should be no power, however, if something was to be active, there would be power. If the meter shows up with a small 0.2 voltage, then that is normal. If the voltage is 1 volt or more, then you have a parasitic draw (something staying live draining the battery with no way of charging it).
For the battery to drain overnight, there has to be a voltage of 5 volts or more present. The way to check this is remove one component at a time. For your radio that is not working, remove the power wire to the radio and if the voltage drops to 0, then the radio is the problem. If the radio is not the problem, continue unplugging one thing at a time until the meter reads 0. Then fix that part to keep your battery from draining. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, that can assist you with your battery issue.