Car gets jerky when first accelerating transmissions 2003...

Q: Car gets jerky when first accelerating

asked by on February 09, 2016

When I put my foot on the gas from a complete stop, the car is very jerky.

Although I would need a bit more information for a specific diagnosis, there are a few things that can make the vehicle feel jerky:

Broken or worn engine and transmission mounts allow too much movement under the hood. While driving, broken mounts allow the engine to flex and bounce around under the hood. In some cases, the engine can move so much, that it comes into contact with other components. Misfires are another type of problem. A weak point in the ignition system can result in misfires that are generally felt the worst during idle, and initial acceleration. The suspension system should be checked for worn or broken parts, and the transmission performance should be checked.

Have a trained technician inspect the many vehicle systems for the source of the jerking to locate your problem. Consider our experts here at YourMechanic and avoid an unsafe situation as we come to you.