06 Taurus P0353 & P1000 codes with rough idle and drive. ...

Q: 06 Taurus P0353 & P1000 codes with rough idle and drive.

asked by on August 07, 2017

New Autolite Platinum plugs gapped .042 <2000 miles on Duralast plug wires New BWD ignition coil pack (twice) New cats y-pipe with 3rd (Unmonitored) deleted New Bank 2 Sen 1&2 O2 sensors New Heated PCV Vacuum runs 19-21.4 at idle. Drops to 0.5-1.0 on take off then to around 12 to maintain on flat ground. Idle in park fluctuates between 650-750rpm Replaced vac line & coupler on the backside of the air intake tube behind the MAF. Ran the smoke/propane/water mist tests, no leaks Barely gets up a small hill going 20 with about 50% throttle. All the while stuttering like it has a bad plug Alt & Batt tested good Belt and tensioner good

Shows codes P0353(intermittently) & P1000 (constant, no CEL)

Code P0353 relates to a generic powertrain code that indicates a problem exists with the ignition system or an engine misfire, specific to the ignition coil. The repeated burnt ignition coils would seem to indicate that there may be an open secondary circuit. The most common cause for an ignition coil to become defective is an open circuit in the secondary current path. Plug wires that are open circuit, or removed while the engine is cranking or running will create an open circuit. Inside the ignition coil the voltage will go extremely high. Voltage is electrical pressure and if a coil develops too much voltage it will break down the insulation between the windings of the secondary coil wire. If this happens a coil may fail to function completely, or it may only fail to work when the engine is placed under a high load such as when rapidly accelerating or climbing up a hill. Sometimes this will show up using an ohm meter to test the resistance of the coil windings however this is not a conclusive test. Spark plug wires can be reliably checked with an ohm meter. A typical spark plug wire will have several thousand ohms of resistance. When spark plug wires get old they often go open circuit and this will show up when testing with an ohm meter. If one wire is found to be defective, it is a good idea to replace all the plug wires. It is also a good idea to replace the ignition coil if a spark plug wire is found to be open circuit.