Q: Need to swap engine from 2002 eclipse into 2006 eclipse

asked by on December 06, 2016

Will my 2002 2.4L engi e go in my 2006 eclipse without any modification

The 2002 engine used Head Cast # G6 and Block Cast # 4G64. The 2006 used Head Cast # G69M and Block Cast # 4G69. There are other differences between the two years as well. The principal problem is your present engine computer may not be compatible with the new engine. Really, nowadays, unless you are an engineer, highly trained in motor vehicle systems, or just experimenting, due to the central role of the engine computer and all the sensors that are keyed to the computer, you have to replace like for like if you want any guarantee of a trouble free installation. Your best bet is to either rebuild the engine that you have (not hard to do and not a bad idea), get a used engine - try Car-part.com or buy a rebuilt long block. If you need assistance, certified Mechanics in various locations served by YourMechanic will be happy to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr