Q: My water pump is leaking but I replaced timing belt and pump a year ago. Can I just replace the water pump this time?

asked by on November 02, 2016

was told the water pump is leaking. the previous owner replaced it and the timing belt about a year and a half ago. not under warranty so my question is can I just replace the water pump or do I have to replace everything again? car is running great just leaking fluid from the water pump. If so how labor intensive is the job? how many hours will this take to repair?

Hello. You can just replace the water pump in this case. Although, the cost of just the timing belt is fairly negligible in comparison to the total labor of the job. My estimator says the water pump is a 6.5 hour job. Multiply that by whatever the shop rate is and you have the total labor without parts. You end up saving about $100 or less on parts if you only replace the pump.

The deciding factor will be the condition of the timing belt. If it has problems, you won’t be saving yourself any money by reusing it. In addition, there are seals and pulleys that may need to be replaced as well.

Assuming all the related parts were replaced the first time around, there isn’t a reason you can’t reuse them. I would say you should weigh the savings of reusing them against the actual condition of the parts. This is best determined after a complete disassembly. Keep in mind, time estimates will vary a bit depending on many factors. Either way, the labor is the largest cost.

If you would like to have the water pump replaced, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to perform this service at your convenience.