Water pump leaking silverado 1500 2001 chevrolet v8-4.8l

Q: Water pump leaking

asked by on August 11, 2017

My water pump has leakage of refrigerant through the packaging you recommend me to change the pump or just to fix the leak of the gasket? what do you recommend? change the pump or Just replace the gasket?

Depending on the source of the leak, you may need to replace the entire water pump or just the water pump gasket. It sounds like you may have a water pump that may not be pumping correctly or may be failing. Generally, when a water pump is going bad, you may hear a bit of a whining sound combined with the pump leaking. The most common place for the water pump to leak from is the pulley shaft seal which is in the front of the pump where the shaft comes out of the pump housing. When the pump is leaking, it will typically cause the engine to overheat as well. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your water pump.