Q: my vehicle is making a loud squealing noise, I think it is the power steering pump. it has been leaking fluid for awhile

asked by on March 07, 2017

power steering pump has been leaking, and now after a few months it has been squealing really loud, it starts by squealing as soon as you start the engine, and it just makes all kinds of whining and squealing noises very loud as you drive the vehicle.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The power steering pump is a very common place for the system to leak fluid. The pump can mechanically fail, it can crack, and more commonly the gaskets and seal fail. With that being said, it is also one of the components that moves in such a way that it can produce a loud squealing noise. With all of these signs pointing to a failed power steering pump, you should have it replaced. If you want to do some further inspection to confirm, you should attempt to locate the exact location of the leak. For more help with further testing or resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.