Q: My truck won't shift outof park

When I crank my truck up the service advance trac and hill descend lights come on and will not let me shift out of park. Just locked in park. Will not go into neutral or drive what do I do?

Hello. The advance trac / hill descent lights come on when the computer detects an issue with the vehicle’s anti lock, traction control system. It may be possible that the computer has detected a serious issue and has locked the vehicle in park to prevent the possibility of it being damaged, perhaps due to a failed sensor or component. A compatible scan tool can be used to retrieve the trouble codes that are setting off the warning lights, which will likely reveal some insight on what the issue could be. A few possibilities are failed abs or wheel speed sensors, a faulty abs module, or even some sort of mechanical failure. It may also be possible that the warning lights are a separate issue from the stuck transmission, perhaps due to a transmission problem or faulty stoplight switch. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the cause of the shifting issues and warning lights.

3. My truck won't shift outof park