Q: My oil and engine light are flickering on and off after about 15 minutes of driving

My car`s oil and engine light has been flickering on and off after driving for about 15 minutes, and one time the engine was smoking, i just need a diagnosis of whats going so i can get it fixed.

A: The oil light is coming on after it warms u...

The oil light is coming on after it warms up due to once the oil is warmed up it thins out and oil will leak past worn parts like the main crankshaft bearings and crankshaft rod bearings. Your oil pump can also be weak and not producing enough pressure. The crankshaft bearings are most common and in order to check them you would need to remove the oil pan and remove one main bearing cap and one rod bearing cap to see if they are worn out. You will notice an engine knock when the engine is running if the bearings are worn also. If the oil pressure is suspect then the oil pressure should be checked before the removal of oil pan. The oil pressure should be checked when the engine is cold and then see how low it goes as the engine warms up.