Q: Car starts but won't drive forward or reverse what should I do? 2002 Chevrolet Impala

asked by on December 18, 2016

I start my car and when I go to put it on drive or reverse it does nothing but I can hear the motor going

Gears slipping when accelerating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi - I would check fluid level - and whether the fluid is dirty or overheated - in the transmission first. Even if only a quart low, or dirty enough to cause transmission valves to stick - it could exhibit this behavior. If fluid level is adequate, and clean, I would suspect low hydraulic pressure in the transmission, preventing actuation of clutches and bands for gear selection. I would recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.