Q: Car starts but won't drive forward or reverse what should I do? 2002 Chevrolet Impala

I start my car and when I go to put it on drive or reverse it does nothing but I can hear the motor going

Hi - I would check fluid level - and whether the fluid is dirty or overheated - in the transmission first. Even if only a quart low, or dirty enough to cause transmission valves to stick - it could exhibit this behavior. If fluid level is adequate, and clean, I would suspect low hydraulic pressure in the transmission, preventing actuation of clutches and bands for gear selection. I would recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Car starts but won't drive forward or reverse what should I do? 2002 Chevrolet Impala