Q: My transmission is very shaky and gets stuck in a gear or slips, the transitions are not smooth.

When I drive my car the transmission feels very shaky and jerky. This only happens after about 15 minutes of driving or when the car is warmed up. It will occasionally get stuck in a gear, or it will slip and say that it is in a gear but it just revs like its in neutral when I press the gas. Often it will clunk into a gear when I am accelerating. When I am on the highway everything is fine, it acts up the most when I am in traffic or I am doing a lot of city driving. Shifting between 3rd and 4th gear gives me the most trouble, and when the car is warmed up I have to accelerate hard on 3rd and skip 4th gear and I make it go straight into 5th.

Hi there. A slipping or jerking transmission after warm-up is commonly due to two possible sources; either internal seals are damaged and there is an internal transmission fluid leak or due to debris inside the hydraulic lines. In some cases, having the transmission flushed and filter replaced will resolve these problems; while other repairs would require internal inspection to figure out the root problem. If you haven’t had the transmission fluid flushed in 50,000 miles, I would recommending starting with that service to see if it resolves the problems.

3. My transmission is very shaky and gets stuck in a gear or slips, the transitions are not smooth.