Q: 2005 Nissan Altima SE 3.5L, motor mount replacement

asked by on March 10, 2017

Hi Peter, My car is 2005 Nissan Altima SE 3.5L, recently, there is some noise when running the car, and after an inspection, it was reported that all the motor mounts including transmission mount and serpentine belt need to be replacement. And I have searched online, most said it is expensive to replace all the mounts. As you are an expert, I'd like to ask, is it necessary for having all the mounts change at the same time? and how much it may take, I mean generally how much I should pay for the parts and labor respectively. Thank you very much!

Engine Mount Replacement $115.56 - $1715.27 Get a Quote

Any broken motor mounts should be replaced immediately. If "all" are broken, then all should be replaced immediately. The problem with operating a vehicle with damaged mounts is the engine gets out of position and that can cause collateral damage to the CV axles (as the CV axles, in turn, run out of position) and other components. HOWEVER, it is unusual for all mounts to in fact be bad, all at the same time, and so you should ask that the mechanic PROVE to you that the (or each) mount is defective (show you, by visual demonstration, the break, deterioration or other fault in the mount) before you make a decision. Trust but VERIFY. If no actual evidence is shown to you of a fault in the mount and/or if the explanation that is given to you of the fault does not make sense to you, run for the exits. Alternatively, get a second opinion, but there again, you have to have proof. If it turns out that you need new mounts, do not waste your time with aftermarket mounts. A motor mount is a high tech, highly engineered part these days and indeed some are actually hydraulic in operation. If you want the motor mounts that were designed for your car, buy the mounts from the dealer (OEM). That is the ONLY way you can be sure they will fit and work properly. As far as the serpentine belt is concerned, generally the belt only needs to be replaced every 100,000 miles or so. If your belt is original, absolutely replace it. However, if the belt has been replaced already and perhaps has only 50,000 miles or so on it, there is no need to replace it again now. If the belt is replaced, all of the pulleys, the tensioner, and all rotating elements in the circuit, MUST be carefully inspected and replaced as needed. You might ask the mechanic the open ended question, "what about the pulleys that the belt rides on?". If he doesn’t immediately state in response, "after we remove the belt, of course we inspect the pulleys for smoothness of operation and to be sure the grease is still good", run for the exits.

If you desire an inspection of the motor mounts (and drive belt), and advice and replacement as needed, please simply request motor/transmission mount inspection/replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr