Car revs a little when driving in 4th gear 2004 mazda 3 l...

Q: Car revs a little when driving in 4th gear

asked by on May 30, 2017

Car shifts perfect from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and to 4th. However, when driving in 4th i get an occasional rev and see my rpms go up and come back down. It doesnt do this constantly and it doesnt really affect the driving it just worries me is all. Please help i changed the transmission fluid already and cleaned the throttle body as i was suggested to do so.

What you are describing is often a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.