Q: Check engine light on,code p2004.

asked by on June 05, 2016

So I replaced my imrc because my check engine light came on. Threw it on the scanner and I got the p2004 code. Will my check engine light turn off on its own or do I have to wipe the code? Really hoping I don't have to replace intake manifold. I'm the do it yourself kind of guy. Any suggestions?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

When the P2004 code is set, it means that the runner flap inside of your Patriot’s intake manifold is not operating correctly. This can be the result of several different things. In most cases, the actuator that is located on the side of the intake manifold will fail and need to be replaced. There are also some cases of faulty wiring or physical obstruction being inside the intake manifold and causing this code to appear.

From what is described, it appears that you have replaced the actuator on the side of the intake manifold. When working with any sensors, it is always a good idea to disconnect the battery from the electrical system first, so it can be serviced safely. After completing the repair, the battery can then be reconnected. This process usually resets the computer, resulting in clearing the code responsible for the Check Engine Light.

If you did not disconnect the battery or clear the code immediately after the repair was complete, you will want to turn the key on to the number two position and access your vehicles computer through your data link connector. Clear the codes and then turn the car completely off before restarting the vehicle. If the part you replaced was faulty, the Check Engine Light should remain off. If the Check Engine Light comes back on with the same code, the problem may lay in the wiring or maybe in the intake manifold itself.

I understand the do it yourself mentality and I applaud it. However, there are always things that require an extra set of eyes to go over. Allowing a certified mechanic to step in and offer you a hand could be a great next step. They will be able to determine exactly why your Check Engine Light is on and either point you in the right direction or perform the repairs themselves.