Q: My car has a coolant leak

A while ago, the water pump was leaking on my car. So, I replaced the water pump, coolant elbows and the coolant level sensor. I replaced the radiator a year ago. I think I have a coolant leak. I can tell that it is not leaking around the water pump because it's dry, but I can smell the coolant and noticed a small amount of coolant loss. How can I find where it is leaking from? Where else could I search besides the water pump, coolant elbows and radiator?

Hello. The most common cause of a random coolant loss on this vehicle is a leaking intake manifold gasket. It commonly starts leaking coolant into the engine, which will be burnt off or will leak externally. I typically do a pressure test and a dye test on the system first to see if I can locate an external leak. If nothing is found, then I do a block test to make sure that there is not a head gasket issue. If nothing shows up there, then I replace the intake gaskets. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the coolant leak and replace the intake gaskets if necessary.

3. My car has a coolant leak