Q: Traction control

asked by on May 19, 2017

Also I have a check engine light on and found out it was "bank 1 and 2 too lean" can that be caused by a mass air flow sensor needing replacement? Thanks for your time..

A lean fuel condition may be caused by a number of things. An intake air leak, a dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor, a faulty fuel injector, a faulty oxygen sensor, a faulty fuel pump are just a few of the possible issues that may cause the lean fuel condition. It is also likely that this lean fuel condition may be causing misfires as well, which can cause the vehicle to run poorly.

The traction control system monitors the steering and stability of the vehicle and engages when loss of traction has been detected. This is done by the use of electronic sensors at each of the four wheels that communicate with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) regarding steering performance and stability in adverse weather conditions. The traction control system works by reducing engine speed and determining which wheel to apply brake pressure to in order to prevent the vehicle from sliding. The anti-lock braking system and the traction control system work together to maintain the stability of the vehicle. The computer uses this information received from electronic sensors regarding the rotational speed of each wheel, the horizontal motion of the vehicle, and the vertical motion of the vehicle to determine how to direct the traction control system or the anti-lock braking system to best control the vehicle when needed. When this warning indicator light comes on in the dashboard, this could be an indication of several issues such as faulty wheel speed sensors, a faulty steering angle sensor, a faulty rotational speed sensor or a problem with the steering rack. In some cases, the traction control system may simply need to be reprogrammed. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose your traction control system.