Q: Will my car shut off when it's low on oil or coolant?

asked by on November 03, 2016

isnt my car supposed to shut off when its too low on oil and too low on coolant and what will it do during it shutting off? and is it non intereference im having to replace timing chains would it bend my valves since it jumping timing and during replacement would i need a whole timing chain kit or just the chains? i have a 2011 chevy camaro 3.6l v6

The signals you get in your car simply warn you to turn the engine off when the oil and coolant are too low, but will not shut the car off on it’s own. When the oil pressure switch detects low oil pressure, this triggers that warning to come on. This is a non-interference motor meaning it should not damage valves and other components when the timing chain jumps, however that is not to say that it would be impossible for it to damage things depending on the conditions.

I would suggest buying the whole timing kit since you will likely need new timing chain guides and tensioners due to the chain jumping off of the timing gears. To avoid any unnecessary repairs, you may want to consider having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your issue and install your new timing set.