Q: My Taurus just got an EGR sensor replaced, thinking it was the solution to my acceleration problem.

As I drive down the road, my Taurus will not accelerate like it should. I get up to about 2,000 RPM's when I'm barely giving it gas. Went to replace the EGR sensor thinking that was the problem but didn't fix my acceleration issue. What would I be looking for part wise to fix it? How much would the end cost be if I had to get it looked at? It's drive-able but I can't get past 30 without acting like I'm driving stick. CAN NOT GO ON THE HIGHWAY. She doesn't get up to speed at all. It takes me a solid minute to accelerate to 25 mph.

Hi, thanks for writing in. This is a common sign of a failing mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor is a unit in the intake system that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this fails, this can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which often times results in the engine starving for air or fuel. This is what causes the hesitation or loss of power you describe. This can also cause the engine to struggle to idle for the same reason. This may also be caused by a failing throttle position sensor. The throttle position sensor (TPS) is a sensor used to monitor the throttle position of a vehicle. The sensor is usually located on the butterfly spindle/shaft so that it can directly monitor the position of the throttle. This sensor relays the position of the throttle plate (also called the butterfly) relative to your foot’s position on the gas pedal and associates the two in the ECU. The ECU then makes the direction to supply more or less fuel to the motor. When this sensor is not working properly, this can cause intermittent responses when applying the gas pedal. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this acceleration issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

• My Taurus just got an EGR sensor replaced, thinking it was the solution to my acceleration problem.