Q: My Subaru Forester XT (2014) with the FA20 turbo engine makes the timing belt screeching noise when it starts up

asked by on November 16, 2017

The timing belt makes the nails on chalkboard noise upon start up but noise goes away after 15-30 secs and only makes the noise around idling rpm to 1000 rpm

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The engine in your particular model was equipped with a timing chain, not a belt. The screeching noise that you are describing could be due to a faulty bearing in a pulley that is in the "circuit" of components driven by the serpentine belt. Other causes of such noise are the belt itself (improper tension) and there is also a possibility that the belt driven components are not rotating in the same plane. If you request a vehicle noise diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will definitely find the origin of the noise and get this resolved promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr