Q: My speedometer is going back and fourth and drops to zero while driving but, my rpm gauge is fine.

asked by on October 14, 2016

I was driving the other day and my speedometer started moving back and fourth. The rpm gauge is fine everything else is fine on the panel except for that speed gauge. I tested my car it pulled a code up p0335 I do have a wire harnes clip that is bad the wires look like they aren't fully connected I looked up where it goes to it said it went to the crank sensor. I just want to know what I should maybe look for first. Thank you for your help.

Hello. The crankshaft position sensor will not cause a fluctuation in the speedometer gauge. It can affect the rpm gauge, but not the speedometer. If the speedometer is acting like this then most of the time this is caused by a failure in the vehicle speed sensor. When this sensor or the connection at the sensor fails then this will happen. If you are planning on having this speedometer issue repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.