P0076 code definition
Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Low (Bank 1)
What the P0076 code means
P0076 is an OBD2 code that indicates an issue with the Bank 1 intake valve control solenoid circuit. This tells us that the car's computer, or Engine Control Module (ECM), has detected a sensor that is out of the specified voltage range. This code may also be seen with P0077.
What causes the P0076 code?
- Failed intake valve control solenoid, Bank 1
- Intake valve control solenoid circuit, Bank 1 open or short in wiring
- Intake valve control solenoid circuit, Bank 1 poor connection or disconnected connector
What are the symptoms of the P0076 code?
- ECM triggers Check Engine Light to be displayed on the dash
- ECM triggers a failsafe mode until normal voltage is detected again
- Poor vehicle acceleration
- Worse fuel economy
How does a mechanic diagnose the P0076 code?
- Hooks up an advanced diagnostic scan tool with the ability to see live sensor data
- Verifies that the P0076 code is present
- Uses freeze frame data to duplicate vehicle conditions during road test
After the code is confirmed:
Performs a visual inspection of the wiring and connectors for the intake valve control solenoid
Uses the scan tool to monitor the voltage in the intake valve control solenoid, looking for irregularities
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0076 code
- Not following the steps of the diagnosis in the proper order
- Prematurely replacing the intake valve control before confirming that it is bad
How serious is the P0076 code?
Generally, the Check Engine Light is the main symptom that will be observed. In the event of poor acceleration and fuel economy, the car should be repaired as soon as possible to ensure safe and normal vehicle operation.
What repairs can fix the P0076 code?
- Repairing any opens or shorts in the intake valve control solenoid circuit
- Replacing or repairing any connectors or connection issues
- Replacing the solenoid control valve
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P0076 code
P0076 can be a straight forward code or a very intermittent one. Care should be taken to diagnose this properly. Like all sensors on modern cars, the intake valve control solenoid can fail at higher mileages and may need replacement.
The intake valve control solenoid is part of the system that controls variable valve timing on many modern engines. The variable valve timing gives much better fuel economy and aids in acceleration. As such, this is a critical component of modern engines.
A scan tool is required for this code that will allow advanced sensor data to be read. This is used to confirm that the intake valve control solenoid is operating properly. Without the proper scan tool, it is much harder to diagnose this code.
Need help with a P0076 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.