Q: When the gear shifter is in the neutral position, the transmission is still in gear. I have to step on the clutch to start the engine.

My pajero mini 4a30 4 wheel drive manual is continuously in gear even if the gear lever is in the neutral position what could be the problem?

Hi there. The shift rail in the transmission may have came apart or the fork on the rail may be bent causing the transmission to stay in gear when the shifter is in neutral. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission issue.

• When the gear shifter is in the neutral position, the transmission is still in gear. I have to step on the clutch to start the engine.