Q: My headlights doesn't seem to work good.

asked by on February 16, 2017

I bought this 2006 Chevy Malibu from this person, and they said nothing was wrong with it so I paid 3800 for it. Well, as soon as I drive it home and stuff, I noticed that the headlights tend to give out. My biggest problem with them is they don't work. I've bought all new bright/dim bulbs thinking it was the bulbs that needed to be changed, well I had them installed and the lights still didn't seem to work. They work on one side but not as they should. Also the blinker is out too. My dad told me it's something to do with the wiring. I just want to be able to fix what's wrong so I can drive it in the night time and not just during the day. Once again, one side barely works and the other doesn't. Please help! Thank you

Headlights are dim Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The issue with your lights is the ballast resistor is not working properly. Ballast resistors are designed to monitor the amount of voltage to the headlights. If the lights are dimming out and then not working, then the ballast resistor is getting hot as it could be shorting out. I recommend replacing the ballast resistor then checking the lighting electrical system. If you need further assistance with your headlights not working, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.