Q: My gear shift cable may be broken but my car won't. What could be the issue?

asked by on March 10, 2017

I was driving and the gear shift got stuck then my brake paddles got extremely hard to press down and now my car wont start and its stuck in 3rd gear. Why wont it start

Hello, thank you for writing in. Without the vacuum supply from the engine, the brakes become hard to press. The vehicle is designed not to start when it is in gear. This is a safety measure ensuring the vehicle is not going to take off immediately after starting. The gear shift linkage may have broken, the transmission may have failed, or a combination of the two may have occurred. That being said, if you can manually shift the transmission to park or neutral, you should be able to start the car. This is done by pressing the brake while manually adjusting where you see the shift lever linkage connecting to the transmission. For more help with this and repairing the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.