Q: My front brakes are sticking but i cant tell if it is the caliper or the master cylinder

asked by on August 20, 2016

I have an 02 chevy tahoe i know the front passenger side is sticking because it was throwing off extreme heat but the drivers side front was also hot just not as hot as the passengers side what i wanna know is would it be both calipers??? Or could there be a different problem like the master cylinder

Brakes must be pumped to work Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Brake Caliper Replacement $193.80 - $1094.50 Get a Quote

Most of the time, this is caused by the caliper sticking, or the slide pins freezing up.

There is a return valve in the master cylinder that could be plugged partially, but that is not common. Is is also possible that you have an internal hose problem causing the flow of fluid to decrease, preventing the caliper from returning into a rest position.

The calipers are your most likely failure point. I would recommend an inspection of your brakes by a qualified mechanic.

You would need to have both caliper slides checked for binding.

If one of the brake pads is worn more than the other, (e.g., the inner pad is worn out while the outer pad is okay,) then the slide could be binding. If both pads are worn out on one side and not the other, then you likely have a sticking caliper piston, or a bad hose to the caliper is holding pressure to the caliper.

Have the hoses checked before removing calipers by applying the brake and releasing it - see if turning the wheel is harder on one side than the other. If one side is harder to turn, open the caliper bleeder to see if pressure is released. If there is no change, then the caliper is sticking. If pressure is released, then the hose is holding pressure to the caliper and both caliper hoses should be replaced.

I would recommend replacing brake calipers in pairs.