Q: Experiencing rough idle and misfire on multiple cylinders on bank 2

I have a 2004 Ford F150 and recently it has started with a rough idle and loss of power. I have a programmer so I can read all of my codes. I have about 12 codes. It started out with a camshaft position sensor issue on bank 2, and that was it. Now it has progressed to camshaft position sensor issues on both banks, camshaft position actuator issues on both banks, misfires on cylinders 5, 7, and 8, misfire on startup, random misfire detected, and a couple of other codes that has to do with the misfires. I have brand new spark plugs and brand new coil packs so I know that is not it. Both of the VCT solenoids are brand new, camshaft position sensors are brand new, and wiring on the sensors is brand new. I have tried everything that I know of to try, and now I'm lost.

Hello, thanks for reaching out to us about your Ford’s rough iding and misfiring. Typically, when your vehicle is running with these codes and symptoms, it’s due to faulty camshaft phasers that need replacing, or the timing chain is worn out.

Defective camshaft phasers are a common problem and will cause the variable valve timing to be off just enough to cause rough idling or misfiring. I would fix the camshaft phasers first, and if symptoms still occur, I’d recommend replacing the timing chain (you will need to remove the timing cover to do so).

If you’d like help with either of these tasks, consider YourMechanic and a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair these issues for you.

3. Experiencing rough idle and misfire on multiple cylinders on bank 2