Q: Car makes scraping sound and rattles

asked by on August 09, 2016

The mileage on my car is approximately 160,000. The dealership told me that flushing the transmission oil or changing the filter is not required, so I never did those. When driving around 40-50 mph, my car makes a scraping sound. I think it is coming from somewhere in the front, under the engine and closer to the passenger side.

In addition to that, when I’m driving at 30 mph and slowly press on the gas pedal, the car begins to rattle like the engine is misfiring. The computer codes showed that several cylinders had misfired. The car had 80,000 miles when I last changed the spark plugs and gaskets. I felt it was time to change it again at the current mileage. But the problem wasn’t solved - both the scraping sound and the rattling persisted. The mechanic is currently telling me that the problem is the transmission. Do you agree with him or what do you suggest is the cause of this?

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2001 BMW 740iL. It sounds like you have more than one problem here, and the scraping noise can be something dragging or rubbing and can only be checked and diagnosed in person. If you do not think the mechanic diagnosed it correctly, your best bet may be to have the car looked at by an expert for a second opinion. A certified professional, such as one from YourMechanic can inspect the sound that you are experiencing and determine what repairs are necessary.