Q: My engine is shaking sometimes when I don't press on the gas pedal. I just changed all the spark plugs so it is not that.

My engine is shaking sometimes when I don't press on the gas pedal. I just changed all the spark plugs so it is not that. I also have a rear main seal leakage but I don't see how it is related since the oil level is good. I also changed the fuel filter very recently and it didn't do anything.

Hi There, Shaking or vibration may be caused by many different things such as faulty spark plugs, poor fuel pressure or misfires. Other things such as a faulty idle air control valve may cause the engine idle to drop below the normal idling RPM which may also cause the motor to shake or vibrate more than normal. This creates a loss of power that resonates throughout the motor additionally causing other problems with ignition and fuel timing. Anytime a misfire is caused, this causes an imbalance in the motor which will cause the motor to shake or vibrate. The other issue that may cause this type of shaking or vibration is a broken engine mount. Engine mounts are generally rubber mounted braces that hold the engine in place to the chassis of the car. When these break or become weak or faulty, this may cause the engine to vibrate heavily. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle using a scanning tool which will more accurately indicate what specifically may be causing this.

3. My engine is shaking sometimes when I don't press on the gas pedal. I just changed all the spark plugs so it is not that.