Q: Car shakes when I apply brakes doing 45mph or more and even when I don't apply brakes around 60 mph 2005 Chevy Equinox

asked by on December 05, 2016

My Chevy equinox shakes when I apply brakes doing 45mph or more and even when I don't apply brakes doing 60 mph

Hello - you likely have multiple problems here: one of which exaggerates the others. Given your mileage, your front struts are likely worn. This is important because the tire imbalance you feel at 60 mph (without braking), and the vibration you feel when applying the brakes (brake pad deposits on the brake rotors - sometimes called warped rotors), are amplified by worn suspension parts. I would start with an inspection of the front suspension for worn parts, and brake rotors by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. Then have the tires checked for balance at a tire shop.