Q: Whining when off clutch and tapping from engine when cold

Hey , I have a 1992 Mazda Miata and when I am driving and when I come to a stand still I put the car into neutral and leave the clutch at the top and there is a whining coming from the gearbox , I only recently got the car from a relative and is off the road with 2 months as I had to do a bit of work to the engine and drivetrain , suggestions of whining from the clutch , and also when the car is cold there is a tapping coming from the engine but goes away when the car is at correct running temp

Hello. The whining noise you are hearing is typically from the pilot bearing located at the rear of the crankshaft. It can be an internal transmission issue but that is not as common. I typically check and even change the transmission oil first to see if there is metal in it indicating a transmission failure. As for the tapping. That is typically in the valve train or an exhaust leak. If the noise gets better as the engine warms up it may be an exhaust leak. If not, then it may have a valve adjustment issue. If you were going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to diagnose the noise and make any repairs that are needed.

3. Whining when off clutch and tapping from engine when cold