Q: Car shakes when accelerating from 1st gear - 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

My car shakes when accelerating from the 1st gear and then it drives normally until the next stop and start again when driving away. The car is an 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L SE. I had them put a 2004 engine in it because its original engine had a problem. I noticed too that it doesn't change into overdrive and its not getting into the higher gears.

Please advice.

Jaime

Hello. If your vehicle is shaking when accelerating from first gear, and not shifting into overdrive or the higher gears, then there is likely some sort of issue with the transmission. A few things that can cause these symptoms are low or dirty transmission fluid, a faulty transmission sensor, or a worn out transmission.

The first thing I would do is check the transmission fluid to make sure that it is at the correct level, and not excessively dirty or contaminated. If the fluid checks out, then I would look at the transmission speed sensors, as well as shift solenoids, as these are the components that control the vehicle’s shifting.

As issues of this nature can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint, I would recommend having the vehicle looked at by a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to determine why the car is shaking upon acceleration.