Q: Stalls at random times while driving

asked by on October 05, 2016

Van will randomly stall out while driving, it's like the gas pedal just quits working, and the odometer goes to 0. Sometimes, if I pump the gas, it'll start working again, but it seems like the van has restarted itself (if the check engine light was on before it "stalled", sometimes it won't be on when the gas pedal starts working again). Sometimes it won't start working again, and I'll pull over. When I try to start it again, it turns over but won't start. I have to watch the dash, and when the check engine light comes on when the key is at the acceleration, it'll crank, no problem. But if the check engine light doesn't come on, it won't start. Thanks for any advice!

Hello, thank you for writing in. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle may be experiencing some sort of electrical issue. The check engine light, as well as a few other lights, should all light up when you put the key in the ignition, and turn off once the engine is running. If they are not coming on then it may be possible that the vehicle is not getting power or that there is an issue with the circuit. This could be due to a bad ignition switch, or faulty wiring. The first thing I would do is scan the computer for trouble codes as they will likely shed some light on what the issue may be. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.